De Unie, in your interest
0345 851 851

Right to benefits?

Right to benefits

Are you (temporarily) unable to provide (enough) income? Then you can count on a social safety net of schemes and benefits in the Netherlands. Through this social security system, agencies such as the UWV and municipalities support you in difficult situations, for example if you become unfit for work or unemployed. The Dutch social system consists of three parts: employee insurance, national insurance and social provisions. But when exactly are you entitled to what? Our legal experts explain it.

Employee insurance

Employee insurance policies insure you against loss of income due to unemployment, illness or disability. If you live and work for an employer in the Netherlands, you are eligible for this. Your employer pays premiums, so that you can rely on these insurances if necessary. Are you unemployed? Then you can apply for unemployment benefits. Incapacitated? Then you may be entitled to a WIA benefit. The Sickness Benefits Act also falls under employee insurance schemes.

National insurance

Everyone who lives in the Netherlands and has income from work and home pays national insurance contributions – often through taxes. Examples of national insurance schemes are child benefit, Long-term Care Act (Wlz), AOW and ANW.

Social services

You do not pay a premium for these benefits and allowances. That is why these are not called insurance, but provisions: fully paid from the state treasury. In principle, every resident of the Netherlands is entitled to this. Think of the Participation Act, Allowances Act and the IOAW/IOAZ: Income Provision of the Elderly and Partially Disabled Persons Act (unemployed employees/former self-employed).

Support from the sidelines ...

If you find yourself in a situation where you need a social safety net, you probably have a lot of questions. What should you do now? How do you apply for benefits? What will your life look like in the new situation? And what do you agree with your employer, the agency or municipality? The specialists of De Unie offer a listening ear, insight and information. We ensure that you are well prepared and that you are not faced with surprises.

…and in the field.

In some cases, an implementing agency such as the UWV makes a decision about your benefit that you do not agree with. Then we will see together whether we can contest the decision and if so, how. For example, we can assist you in an objection, appeal or appeal procedure.

Not receiving our newsletter yet? Then sign up quickly.

Know more

Questions about social security, for example which schemes are relevant to your situation? Feel free to contact us, our experts will be happy to guide you. Our Service Center is available every working day from 8.00:18.00 am to XNUMX:XNUMX pm via sc@unie.nl and 0345 851 963.