De Unie, in your interest
0345 851 851

Right to benefits?

Are you (temporarily) unable to provide for your own income? Then you can count on a social safety net of schemes and benefits in the Netherlands. We call this system social security. Bodies such as the UWV or municipalities support you, for example if you become incapacitated for work or become unemployed. But when exactly are you entitled to what? Our legal experts explain this below.

Employee insurance

The Dutch social system consists of three parts. The first is employee insurance. If you live and work in the Netherlands for an employer, you are eligible for this. Your employer pays contributions for this, so that you can rely on them if necessary. Do you become unemployed? Then you can apply for unemployment benefit. Incapacitated? Then you may be entitled to WIA benefit. The Sickness Benefits Act also falls under employee insurance.

National insurance

The second part of the social security system is national insurance. You also pay premiums for this, but often via taxes. This is the case, for example, with the General Old Age Pensions Act (AOW), the Long-term Care Act (Wlz), the Surviving Dependents Act (Anw) and the Wajong Act. Officially, the General Child Benefit Act (AKW) also falls under the national insurance schemes, but this provision is nevertheless fully paid by the government. It would therefore fit better under social security.

Social services

Finally, we have social services. You do not pay a premium for these benefits and allowances. That is why these are not called insurance, but provisions: paid in full from the state treasury. In principle, every resident of the Netherlands is entitled to this. Think of the Participation Act, the Benefits Act and the IOAW / IOAZ: Income Provision Act for Older and Partially Disabled (unemployed employees / former self-employed persons).

Support from the sidelines ...

If you find yourself in a situation where you need a social safety net, you probably have a lot of questions. What should you do now? How do you apply for benefits? What will your life look like in the new situation? And what do you agree with your employer, the agency or municipality? The specialists of De Unie offer a listening ear, insight and information. We ensure that you are well prepared and that you are not faced with surprises.

… And in the field.

In some cases, an implementing agency such as the UWV makes a decision about your benefit that you do not agree with. Then we will see together whether we can contest the decision and if so, how. For example, we can assist you in an objection, appeal or appeal procedure.

More information

Questions about social security, for example which schemes are relevant to your situation? Feel free to contact us, our experts will be happy to guide you. Our Service Center is available every working day from 8.00:18.00 am to XNUMX:XNUMX pm via and 0345 851 963.

Receive more news?

Are you not a member of De Unie, but would you like to receive updates about work, care and income? Then sign up as follower of De Unie through our website.