De Unie, in your interest

Your work and income

Long vacation after your retirement

March 15 2023

Done working? Time to travel!

After your working life, a new phase begins, in which you have every opportunity to enjoy your deserved free time as you see fit. For example, by going on a long holiday. What you should take into account when you go abroad for a long time? Our legal specialists will sort it out.

Join now De Unie. You can do that from €0!


Additional conditions for AIO supplement to AOW

Do you receive a supplementary income provision for the elderly (AIO) on top of your AOW benefit? Then you may stay outside the Netherlands for a maximum of 13 weeks per calendar year. Can you be found outside the national borders for longer? Then this has consequences for your AIO supplement. More information about your AIO supplement can be found on the website of the Social Insurance Bank.

Continuing to work after retirement

If you continue to work after your retirement, you cannot just take a (long) holiday. You are still employed. You then have to deal with the statutory regulations regarding holiday requests and the specific agreements that apply with your employer. Therefore, always check this carefully in your employment contract, collective labor agreement and personnel guide.

Concurrence of pension and benefit

In addition to (part of) your pension, you may also receive a benefit, such as the WW. In that case, you also have to deal with the conditions and rules of the UWV or your municipality if you want to take vacation days. You can read more about this here vacation during your WW.

Double check

• Check whether your health insurance covers all necessary medical costs abroad, and at what rate. It may be advisable to take out additional (travel) insurance.
• Check whether you have sufficient financial means to pay for your travel and accommodation. And whether you can access your bank account from your holiday destination.
• You can apply for a European health insurance card (EHIC card) for certain countries within Europe. You can do this for free and easily with your health insurer.

Holiday, so no emigration

In this blog we specifically talk about holidays. Are you planning to emigrate abroad? Then different rules apply. You can find these on the website of the central government.

More information

Do you have questions about taking a holiday or going abroad after your retirement? Please contact us, even if you are not a member of De Unie are. Our Service Center is available every working day from 8.30 am to 17.00 pm via en 0345 851 963.

Related posts

State pension age set for the year 2029

From 2026 onwards, the age at which you become entitled to state pension will depend on developments in life expectancy and will therefore no longer…

Become a member for free