De Unie, in your interest
+0345 851 851

When you are sick, work is not a priority for a while. Fortunately, you are usually better soon. However, if your recovery takes longer, you will have to deal with different arrangements. You must also make agreements with your employer, and perhaps even with the UWV. It can be difficult to keep an overview of all these steps, to know what to do and what to expect from others. Our specialists are ready to help you with this.

What do we do for you?

It can be difficult to sort out all the arrangements for sickness. Whatever situation and disability phase you are in, we will assist you with information and advice. We help you gain insight into your rights and obligations, so that you know exactly what to do and what to expect: from your employer, the UWV or others. Do you have a question? Don't hesitate to call us!

Call in sick

Are you ill? In any case, check the absenteeism protocol of your organization. You often have to report sick to your manager. Did you know that your employer is your should not ask questions about your medical situation? And that the company and occupational health and safety doctor may not provide information to your employer without your explicit permission?

What should you do?

During your illness, adhere to the instructions of your employer, that is very important. Many organizations have an absenteeism protocol, in some cases there are even rules in the collective labor agreement. A common rule: you are always obliged to respond to the call of the company or health & safety doctor.

Communicate clearly

If you have been ill for more than six weeks, your employer must call in the company doctor. He can also choose to do so earlier, for example when you need help quickly. Therefore, keep communicating with your employer as clearly as possible: let them know that you are ill and since when, and let them know at which telephone number you can be reached.

Refusing employer

Does your employer refuse to report you sick to the UWV or does he withhold vacation days? Then contact our experts: they will explain in detail what your rights and obligations are.

Income from illness

When you are sick, your employer often continues to pay your wages. Sometimes you will receive a sickness benefit through your employer. The continued payment of wages or benefits lasts a maximum of two years.

  • During the first two years of illness, your employer is legally obliged to continue to pay your wages from at least 70 percent of your salary. Some collective and individual employment contracts contain different agreements. Check your CLA here.
  • Do you receive sick pay from the UWV, are you a temporary worker or do you have a temporary contract? Call us and we will find out together what you are entitled to.
  • Do you refuse to do (temporarily) adapted work, without stating a good reason and against the assessment of the company doctor? Then your employer can in some cases withhold your wages. In an extreme case you can be fired. Curious about your options? Call us and we'll find out together.
Ill for more than two years

Have you been ill for almost two years, are you still (partially) unable to work and is your income therefore lower than before? Then you may be eligible for a WIA benefit from the UWV. This consists of two schemes: the WGA and the IVA. What you are entitled to depends on your (future) degree of fitness for work. You can read more about this at the website of the UWV.

WGA - partially incapacitated for work

Have you been declared partially incapacitated for work, but more than 35 percent? And can you still (partially) work? Then you may be entitled to a WGA benefit. The focus of this temporary benefit is on getting you ready for work. Your monthly income from your wages from work and WGA is always higher than when you are not working. There are three types of WGA benefits:

  • wage-related benefit
  • wage supplement allowance
  • follow-up benefit

You can read more about this on the website of the UWV the WGA

IVA - 100 percent incapacitated for work

If you are permanently fully incapacitated for work, you will receive an IVA benefit. This is 75 percent of the wages you earned before you became ill - up to a certain maximum. If you have a high need for help or if the benefit is below the social minimum, you can get a higher benefit. You can read more information about this on the website of the UWV the IVA.

Would you like to know more about these benefits and how to apply for them? Get in touch with our experts. They are happy to help you.


Reintegration means returning to your job after a (longer) period of illness. You start this process together with your employer. Note: sometimes you do not reintegrate in your own work, or even with your own employer.

Your obligations

If you are (long-term) sick, you must fully cooperate with your reintegration. Here's a few things to do:

  • be available for your employer and company or health & safety doctor
  • respond to calls from the company or health & safety doctor
  • not hinder your healing and do everything you can to get better
  • you stick to the agreements in the plan of action

Do you need guidance or help with your reintegration? Let us know; our experts are at your service.

Advice and guidance  

Sometimes support from an expert can be nice in the maze of laws and regulations. Are you (long-term) sick and do you need advice or guidance? Let us know. Our experts can help you, for example with your contact with your employer, the UWV or the company doctor. You're not alone.

Call or email our Service Center from 8.30 a.m. to 17.00 p.m. +0345 851 963 or

De Unie on social media

Are you unable to work for a while due to illness?

Our experts know exactly what to arrange and guide you through your reintegration process.

Get in touch with us